A well-organized pantry closet looks great, and it certainly makes things easier to find. However, we don’t often think about the money-saving benefits of an organized pantry. According to the USDA, Americans waste “31 percent [of food] at the retail and consumer levels…approximately 133 billion pounds and $161 billion worth of food” per year. Much of the food we waste is because we can’t see everything that’s buried in the pantry! With a potential savings of 1/3 of your grocery bill, it’s worthwhile to keep your pantry organized. Use these tips to create a stunning pantry where all your food is easy to find.
Step 1: Clean out your pantry
If you’re ready to have a beautiful, organized pantry, start by cleaning out anything you don’t need. Look for past expiration dates, items you’ll never use, and any stale or spoiled items. Once you’ve pared everything down to the essentials, it’s time to consider how you want to organize your pantry.
Step 2: Make a plan
Before you buy any pantry closet organizers, have a plan for organizing your pantry. You don’t want to waste money and space on items that don’t work for your space.
Start by grouping items into piles that make sense together. For example, you might want to put snack items together, or have a pull-out drawer for bread and one for produce. Once you have everything put together in a way that makes sense to you, it’s time to explore all the exciting options for making your pantry convenient to use and all your items easy to find.
Step 3: Find the perfect organization system
Plan your perfect organization system before you buy anything. To do this well, it’s important to know which options are available. Consider using some of these great options to maximize your space, regardless of your pantry size. Pantry closet organizers maximize space and make it easy to find exactly what you need.
- Pull-out baskets
- These attractive options ensure your items are always visible and organized well. They allow plenty of air flow around your items, making them the perfect solution for easy-access snacks, breads, and produce. Since you can attach them under a shelf, you’ll maximize your space.
- For smaller items, like spices or cake decorating supplies, drawers are a great option. It’s easy to group these items together and find exactly what you need. Some drawers have angled slats just for spices, so it’s easy to see what you have.
- Vertical shelving
- If you store baking sheets, skillets and pans in your pantry, vertical shelving is the perfect way to stay organized. Instead of stacking heavy skillets on top of each other, it’s easy to find exactly what you need when each item has its own vertical shelf. Simply slide it out and save yourself the trouble of pulling out all your pans to get the one on the bottom of the pile.
- Pull-out shelves
- Now that there’s a little more room in your pantry, consider some pull-out shelving for appliances. Pull-out shelves safely store heavy appliances like large stand mixers, and it’s easy to pull out the shelf to safely use the appliance.
- If you have a large pantry but are low on counter space, proper organization could give you enough room to add a small countertop. Set out items that need to thaw or marinade while your kitchen stays clean until you’re ready to cook.
Step 4: Putting it together
Now that you have a plan, it’s time to buy the pantry closet organizers you need and put everything away. If you need help choosing the right options for your pantry closet, explore our design options and get help organizing your space. When it’s easy to see what you already have, it’s amazing how much you’ll reduce waste and save on your grocery bill. Get started with a beautifully organized pantry today.